- 500 grams chickpeas (revithia)
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 medium carrots
- 3 ribs of celery from the stalk
- salt/pepper to taste
1. Soak chickpeas overnight in cold water (add baking soda in water). It is important to soak the chickpeas overnight for them to become tender and to reduce cooking time.
2. Rinse well, drain and discard the soaking water. Put the chickpeas into a pot, add enough water to cover them. Bring to boil and remove the froth from the top with a wooden spoon.
3. Cook until the chickpeas are soft (about 10 minutes). When soft, drain and rinse them.
4. Put again in the pot and add: onion (Coarsely chopped), carrots (in slices), celery, olive oil, salt and pepper and a glass of water.
5. Turn the heat down to a simmer and place the lid on. Let the revithia cook for about an hour.