Vasso Morali was born in 1961, in Eleftheroupolis of Kavala, Greece. She grew up in Nikissiani (a small town in Kavala Region), where she completed her primary and secondary education, before she moves to Athens to study Journalism and Law and work as a professional journalist/broadcaster and lawyer.
Vasso was the first female sports caster in the world to call on live a soccer match (June 1983, between two Clubs of the Greek A League), for the Greek National Broadcaster ERT. Her broadcasting made international headlines and grabbed the attention of the British BBC and the Italian RAI.
Vasso worked for around 36 years in Greece and Australia as a journalist/broadcaster, TV presenter and editor-in-chief for all the ERT channels (ET1, NET/ET2, ET3), ERT Radio programs and the Athens press. She was the main Co-ordinator for ERT’s live TV coverage of the Athens Olympic Games (2004). Vasso used to be the very first correspondent of ERT in Australia (1989 – 1994) and also worked for 2EA/3EA/SBS Radio for almost 8 years in total (based in Sydney). Between Oct 2011 – May 2015 Vasso was the head of the SBS Radio Greek Program (responsible for its full reconstruction).
She’s well known as a lecturer (in both Greece and Australia) on various topics: (Journalism, historical issues and female rights).
After her retirement (2015) she lives permanently in her hometown and is engaged in historical research. She is married to Greek-Australian journalist, Costas (Con) Giotakis.
- Law Faculty (National and Capodestrian University of Athens)
- Professional Journalism College (“Workshop”) (Athens)
- Public Relations and Communication (St. George TAFE, Sydney)
- Seminars: Management and Human Resources Management (Sydney)
- (1979 – 1996) Journalist in various daily and weekly Athens newspapers and magazines
- (1982 – 2011) Journalist/Broadcaster, TV presenter and Executive in ERT for 30 years
- (1989 – 1994) Journalist, (2011 – 2015) Executive Producer for the Greek Program of SBS.
- She taught Journalism for six years at the Public Institute of Journalism of Halandri, (Athens).
- (1982-84) Publisher and Editor of the monthly newspaper “Elefthero Pangaeo” (“Free Pangaeo”)
- (1991 – 2004) Lawyer in Greece and Sydney/specialist in Greek Law – Full member of Athens and Kavala Law Societies
- She has also edited and / or published special multi-page editions for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia and its large Greek Parishes-Communities of Kogarah and Belmore, Sydney.